Ioannis Miaoulis (E83, G86, G87)
Tufts graduate, trustee and former dean of the School of Engineering Ioannis Miaoulis (E83, G86, G87) lobbied to integrate engineering into the Massachusetts public school curriculum in 2001 and continues to influence how science is taught as president and director of the Museum of Science, Boston. The former Massachusetts education commissioner, David Driscoll, called him "the father of technology education in Massachusetts."
After graduating in 2007, Tufts alumni Sebastian Chaskel, Linda Schultz and Michael Stone participated in an "indie" road trip for the PBS series Roadtrip Nation.
Bill Richardson (A70, F71, H97)
New Mexico governor Bill Richardson was a pitcher on the Tufts baseball team. In 1999, he received the Theodore Roosevelt Award, the NCAA's highest individual honor, which is presented to an individual "for whom competitive athletics in college and attention to physical well-being thereafter have been important factors in a distinguished career of national significance and achievement." A trustee emeritus of Tufts, he served as U.S. ambassador to the U.N. and Secretary of Energy during the Clinton administration.
Howard Spivak, a professor of pediatrics at Tufts School of Medicine, is an internationally renowned expert on youth violence who has worked on several violence prevention initiatives. He chairs the American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on Violence.
Oliver Platt (A83) and Hank Azaria (A85)
Oliver Platt (A83) and Hank Azaria (A85) were not only classmates and actors together at Tufts, they also co-starred on the Showtime drama series Huff, which first aired in 2004. The duo earned Emmy Award nominations for their work on Huff in 2005. The two shared the screen once more in the 2010 film "Love and Other Drugs."
Hank Azaria (A85)
Actor Hank Azaria (A85) won Emmy Awards in 1998, 2001 and 2003 for Outstanding Voice-over Performance on The Simpsons and a primetime Emmy in 1999 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in Tuesdays with Morrie, the TV movie adapted from the book by Mitch Albom.
Rob Burnett (A84)
Late Show with David Letterman executive producer Rob Burnett (A84) won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series for five years straight between 1998 and 2002. He also earned an Emmy nomination for writing, with Jon Beckerman, for their work on the NBC series Ed.
Peter Dolan (A78)
In 2001, at age 45, Peter Dolan (A78), vice chair of the university's Board of Trustees, became the youngest CEO of Bristol-Myers Squibb, a global health company with net sales in 2008 of $20.6 billion. In 2008, Dolan joined the board of Gemin X Pharmaceuticals, a private company specializing in therapies for leukemia, lymphoma and lung cancer.
Pierre (A88) and Pam (J89) Omidyar
In 2005, Tufts trustee Pierre Omidyar (A88), founder of eBay and co-founder of Omidyar Network, with his wife, Pam (J89), donated $100 million to the university. The gift, one of the largest in Tufts' history, underwrites a fund that invests in microfinance initiatives in developing countries.
Joseph Neubauer (A'63)
Trustee emeritus Joseph Neubauer (E63) is CEO of the food service giant Aramark, which has consistently been designated as one of the "Most Admired Companies in America" by Fortune magazine. In 2002, Business Week named Neubauer one of the most ethical corporate leaders in America, and in 2005 he received the Corporate Citizenship Award from the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in recognition of his concern for societal issues beyond the bottom line. He was also honored by the Outstanding Directors Institute.
Ted Vogel (A49)
While still an undergraduate, Ted Vogel (A49) was one of three Americans to qualify for the marathon in the 1948 Summer Olympics in London, courtesy of his second-place finish in the Boston Marathon the year before. He came in 14th at the Olympics, but perhaps the sweeter victory was finishing ahead of Canadian Gerard Cote, who had beaten him by 44 seconds in Boston.
Thomas Pickering (F54, H90)
Fletcher graduate Thomas Pickering (F54, H90) spent 41 years in the foreign service, serving as an ambassador to Russia, India, Israel, El Salvador, Nigeria and Jordan, and representing the United States in the U.N. from 1989 to 1992. Besides attaining the highest rank of career ambassador, Pickering won the Distinguished Presidential Award in 1983 and 1986, and he received the Distinguished Service Award from the State Department in 1996.
Michael Flaherty (A90) and Cary Granat (A90)
Mike Flaherty (A90) and Cary Granat (A90) founded the entertainment company Walden Media to create opportunities for blending education and entertainment. The company has produced film adaptations of books, including The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Toothfairy and Holes.
Kostas Karamanlis (F82, F84, H05)
When Former Greek Prime Minister Kostas Karamanlis (F82, F84, H05), delivered Tufts' commencement address in 2005, he greeted students with a hearty cry of the Greek work axioi (you are worthy). In March 2004, he was the youngest prime minister elected in modern Greek history and was re-elected in 2007.
Tadatoshi Akiba (H05)
Tadatoshi Akiba, a former mathematics professor at Tufts, has been the mayor of Hiroshima, Japan, since 1999. In 2005, he received an honorary degree from the university.
William Hurt (A72, H05)
William Hurt (A72, H05) won the Oscar for Best Actor for his portrayal of a gay window dresser in the 1985 film Kiss of the Spider Woman. He received Best Actor nominations for Broadcast News (1987) and Children of a Lesser God (1986), and in 2005, he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in A History of Violence, despite having a brief role at the end of the film. When Tufts awarded him an honorary degree in 2005, he told the graduates in drama, dance and music that the teachers at Tufts "lit my fire, and it has never gone out."
Fletcher School Dean Stephen Bosworth is the former U.S. ambassador to Korea, the Philippines and Tunisia. In 2009, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton named Bosworth special envoy to North Korea, to focus on resuming negotiations over nuclear arms and human rights.
Eileen Kennedy, dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, created the "Healthy Eating Index," a way to measure how diets conform to federal guidelines, while serving as deputy under secretary and then acting under secretary at the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Miriam Nelson, a professor at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, spearheads the nationwide "Strong Women" fitness program and has written 10 books in the best-selling "Strong Women" series. Nelson also directs the John Hancock Center for Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity Prevention at Tufts.
Tufts nutrition expert Dr. Jose Ordovas, director of the Nutrition and Genomics Laboratory at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, is a leader in the study of nutritional genomics, examining how diet and genes are connected.
Aury Wallington (J91)
Aury Wallington (J91), has written numerous plays, screenplays, short stories and novels, including episodes of popular shows such as Sex and the City and Veronica Mars, as well as books based on TV shows, including The OC and Heroes.
Martin J. Sherwin
Martin J. Sherwin, a professor of history emeritus, was awarded the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for his and Kai Bird's biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer, American Prometheus. The book also received the National Books Critics Circle Award for biography that year.
Maryanne Wolf, director of Tufts' Center for Reading and Language Research, has devoted her career to improving children's literacy around the world. Her scholarship has led to new developments in treating dyslexia.
Greg Hering (E10)
Greg Hering (E10) founded the Emergent Energy Group LLC while still an undergraduate. The company provides advice on sustainable energy solutions for cost-conscious business owners. In 2009, Hering was named among the Best Entrepreneurs 25 and Under by BusinessWeek.
Amy Rhodes (J97)
Former director of content for the comedy video website FunnyorDie.com, Amy Rhodes (J97) won a Daytime Emmy in 2010 as a staff writer for The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
Naif Al-Mutawa (A94)
Naif Al-Mutawa (A'94) created The 99, a comic book series about Islamic superheroes.
Etta Phillips MacPhie (W13, H76)
Known to many as "Mrs. Tufts," Etta Phillips MacPhie financed her Tufts education by reading for a blind professor. MacPhie, who served on the Board of Trustees for nearly two decades, continued her work with the blind throughout her life. She received an honorary degree from Tufts in 1976.
Henrietta Noble Brown (A1893, G1895, G1918)
In 1893, Henrietta Noble Brown became the first woman to receive a baccalaureate degree from Tufts. She transferred from Boston University to be part of the first class of women who matriculated in 1892. Brown went on to become a triple Jumbo, earning master's in both chemistry and history. All three of her children attended the university, as did two of her grandchildren.
Louis Lasagna, the former dean of Tufts' Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences who died in 2003, was known as the "father of clinical pharmacology" for his study that showed that taking a pill, even one that contained no medication, can have a "placebo effect." The journal Lancet has called that research one of the world's 27 most notable achievements in a medical canon dating back to Hippocrates. The Lasagna Oath his modern version of the Hippocratic Oath that recognizes the sacredness of the doctor/patient relationship, is now recited by medical school graduates at dozens of commencements every year, including Tufts.
Horatio Bisbee (A1863)
Horatio Bisbee, a former Florida state attorney general, was the first Tufts student to voluntarily enlist in the Union Army during the Civil War. Heleft Tufts in 1861 to become a private in the Fifth Massachusetts Regiment. After his service he returned to the college and graduated in 1863.
Gloria White-Hammond (M76)
A Tufts trustee, White-Hammond was the 2008 recipient of the Eleanor Roosevelt Human Rights Award from the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee. Her work as a humanitarian has achieved global impact. She has worked as a medical missionary in several African countries, including Botswana, Ivory Coast and South Africa. Since 2001, White-Hammond has made numerous trips to southern Sudan, where she was involved in obtaining the freedom of 10,000 women and children who were enslaved during the two-decades-long civil war. In 2002 she co-founded My Sister's Keeper, a humanitarian women's group that partners with women of Sudan in their efforts toward reconciliation and reconstruction of their communities.
Elmer Hewitt Capen (A1860)
Elmer Hewitt Capen (1838-1905), was the third president of Tufts. While still an undergraduate, Capen was elected to the Massachusetts House of Representatives. He relinquished his seat after one term to finish his studies and graduate with his class. He practiced law for a short time and served as Tufts president from 1875 to 1905. Two hallmarks of his tenure were the admission of women and the recognition that a formal athletics program had a place in higher education.
Nils Yngve Wessell
Nils Yngve Wessell served as Tufts' eighth president from 1953 to 1966, succeeding Leonard Carmichael, who had recruited him to the psychology faculty in 1939. Wessell was the architect behind Tufts' transition from a commuter school to a residential university. Two years into his tenure, Tufts College became Tufts University. Also during his presidency, new dormitories and laboratories were built and the Experimental College was founded. Wessell stepped down in 1966, and went on to serve as president of the Institute for Educational Development and president of the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. A wing of the main library on the Medford/Somerville campus is named in his honor.
Helen L. Mellen
Tufts' first full-time librarian was Helen L. Mellen. An assistant in the library in 1869, she was appointed librarian in 1884. Before then, library duties were managed by faculty members. Mellen retired in 1907, and three years later was named Librarian Emeritus.
Mary A. Livermore (H1896)
Mary A. Livermore was the first woman to receive an honorary degree from Tufts, in 1896. An ardent abolitionist, journalist and member of the women's suffrage movement, she gained fame for her work with the United States Sanitary Commission during the Civil War. A longtime friend of Tufts, Livermore wrote a poem titled "Tufts College" in 1855.
John Albert Holmes Jr. (A29)
John Albert Holmes Jr. attended the public schools in Somerville, Mass. After hearing Holmes read a poem at his high school graduation, Tufts President John Cousens took the fledgling poet under his wing as a student at the college. After graduating in 1929, Holmes, who was a professor of English at Tufts, went on to achieve notable success as a poet and author, publishing seven collections of poetry and two books. Follow his death in 1962, his papers, including manuscripts of 1,000 poems, were donated to the University Archives.
Jester Hairston (A29, H72)
A talented musician, composer and actor, Jester Hairston's Hollywood career spanned six decades and earned him a star on the Walk of Fame. An actor who had small parts in films including To Kill a Mockingbird, In the Heat of the Night, Lady Sings the Blues and Being John Malkovich, Hairston also wrote music for film, including "Amen," a song he dubbed for Sidney Portier film Lilies of the Field. A founding member of the Screen Actors Guild, he died in 2000.
Marston Stevens Balch
Marston Stevens Balch helped establish the university's drama department. He directed and produced almost 100 plays, many of which he translated from French and brought to the United States for the first time. In 1947, he directed his first full-scale production in a theater-in-the-round configuration, an innovative performance space that he experimented with while in France. His work inspired Tufts to build the Balch Arena Theater, which was named in his honor in 1983. The Oscar-winning actor William Hurt, a 1972 Tufts alum, has said he came to Tufts because of Balch's reputation. For Balch, Hurt told a Tufts audience in 2005, "theater was not a fake thing. It was a great art form."
Andrew Spognardi (M36)
A second baseman who played the 1932 season for the Boston Red Sox, Andrew Spognardi left the big league to enter Tufts School of Medicine, graduating in 1936. He was a general practitioner in Roslindale, Mass., for 50 years. During his one season at Fenway, Spognardi batted .294. Between his first and second years of medical school, he played 22 games for the Class A Reading Red Sox.
Ruth Jane Mack Brunswick (M22)
A psychoanalyst, Ruth Jane Mack Brunswick studied with Sigmund Freud andexpanded on his work. After graduating from medical school in 1922, she traveled to Vienna to join a small circle of Freud's students. Her papers on parental attachment and childhood trauma are widely considered to have contributed to the full development of Freudian theory.
A well-known political scientist, historian and author, Halford Hoskins was the first dean of the Fletcher School. He joined Tufts as a professor of history in 1920, rising to become the Dickinson Professor of English and American History and chair of the history department. In 1934 he was appointed the first dean and a professor of diplomatic history at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, serving until 1944.
Nancy W. Anderson
An environmental activist, Nancy W. Anderson, a former Fletcher School faculty member and director of environmental affairs at the Lincoln Filene Center for Citizenship and Public Affairs, was an indomitable strong force in shaping Tufts University's commitment to environmental issues. After her death in 1997, the Nancy W. Anderson Award for Environmental Sustainability was established in her honor.
Roderick MacKinnon (M82, H02)
Roderick MacKinnon earned a 2003 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his groundbreaking research that explains the electrical activity that underlies all movement, sensation and thought.
Alan MacLeod Cormack
Tufts physicist Alan MacLeod Cormack shared the 1979 Nobel Prize in Medicine for his research that led to the development of the CAT-scan. Not one to worry about fame or fortune, Cormack never applied for a patent for computerized axial tomography, the technology that revolutionized radiology and medical diagnosis.
In 2003, Technology Review named Tufts chemist Krishna Kumar one of the world's 100 Top Young Innovators for his cutting-edge research on proteins that may have many medical applications.
Jim Lonborg (D83)
Jim Lonborg, the first Red Sox pitcher to win a Cy Young Award, went on to train as a dentist at Tufts. Lonborg earned the pitching honor in 1967, racking up 22 wins and 246 strikeouts and leading the Sox to their first pennant in 31 years and a spot in the World Series. (They lost to the Cardinals in seven games.) Lonborg later played for the Philadelphia Phillies and the Milwaukee Brewers. After a skiing injury, he decided to become a dentist and continues to practice in Hanover, Mass.
Stephen M. Babcock (A1866)
Stephen M. Babcock, an agricultural chemist who graduated from Tufts in 1866, developed the first inexpensive test to determine the fat content of milk, an advance that made the modern dairy industry possible. The Babcock Test, now used all over the world, has barely been modified since its development in 1890.
Amos E. Dolbear
Professor Amos E. Dolbear, who is credited by many for inventing the telephone, placed his first call from his laboratory on the third floor of Ballou Hall to his home on Professors Row. His patents were later sold to the Bell Company. Dolbear also invented the electric gyroscope, used to demonstrate the Earth's rotation,, the opeidoscope and a new system of incandescent lighting.
Charles Ernest Fay (A1868, H1928)
In 1902, the Canadian government named one of the peaks in the Canadian Rockies after Charles Ernest Fay, a Tufts alumnus who was internationally known in mountain-climbing circles. Mount Fay rises 10,614 feet.
Harry Rosener (A27)
The chemist Harry Rosener helped develop a waterproof fabric coating used as a replacement for rubber during World War II. He also invented the first starch-less stiff collar for men's shirts.
Alfred Church Lane
Alfred Church Lane was the Pearson Professor of Geology and Mineralogy at Tufts from 1909 to 1936. Best known for directing research on the determination of the age of the Earth, he is also known by some nuclear scientists as the "Forgotten Man" of atomic research for his role in early work on splitting the atom.
Cora Alma (Polk) Dewick (W1896)
Dewick Dining Hall is named in honor of Cora Alma (Polk) Dewick, who, in 1894, was one of the first women to enroll at Tufts College. She was also the first alumna elected to the university's Board of Trustees and the first woman to serve on the visiting committee to Jackson College.
George L. Stearns
George L. Stearns, a pre-Civil War businessman, used his estate, located across from what is now Cousens Gymnasium on Tufts' Medford/Somerville campus, as a stop on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War. His widow gave the property to Tufts to create housing after World War II, when Stearns Village was built to house a flood of returning soldiers who were going back to college on the G.I. Bill.
Maria Flytzani- Stephanopoulos
A Tufts research team led by chemical engineering professor Maria Flytzani-Stephanopoulos proved in 2003 that hydrogen fuel cells can be made with far less platinum or gold than previously thought—a discovery that can radically cut the cost of low-temperature fuel cells.
Lisa Freeman (J86, V91, N96)
Lisa Freeman, a nutritionist at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, is one of only a few dozen veterinarians in the country who are also board-certified in clinical nutrition.
Balancing Risks: Great Power Intervention in the Periphery, a book by the Tufts political scientist Jeff Taliaferro that explores how nations become involved in regional conflict, won the prestigious Jervis-Schroeder Award in 2005. The award is given to the year's best book in international history and politics by the American Political Science Association.
Seth Merrin (A82)
Trustee Seth Merrin, the CEO of LiquidNet, is widely known as a Wall Street innovator for automating the manual, paper-heavy system used by traders in the 1990s.
Jennifer Toomey (J94)
World-class runner Jennifer Toomey in 2004 became the first U.S. athlete, man or woman, to win both the 800- and 1,500-meter indoor national titles in the same year.
Gregory Maguire (G90)
In 1995, Gregory Maguire, who earned his Ph.D. in English at Tufts, wrote the best-selling novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, which was adapted into the hit Broadway musical nearly a decade later.
Walter Wriston (F42, H63)
In June 2004, President George W. Bush honored Tufts graduate Walter Wriston, the former chairman and CEO of Citicorp, who was considered one of the most influential bankers of his time, with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.
Carlos Gutierrez (A98)
Carlos Gutierrez won first place in HBO's first annual Latino Film Festival, beating out more than 160 others to win a $15,000 grant to bring his film Lechón to the big screen.
Ed Tapscott (A75)
From 2003 to 2006, the former Tufts star point guard Ed Tapscott was president and CEO of the Charlotte Bobcats, an NBA expansion team attempting to fill the void left by the departure of the Hornets in 2002. Tapscott is now the director of player programs for the Washington Wizards.
Ken Irwin (A66) and Bill Nowlin (A66)
Classmates Ken Irwin and Bill Nowlin co-founded Rounder Records, a label that has expanded from mainly bluegrass and folk music to embrace the pop and rock markets. In 2009, Rounder Records became the second independent label ever to bring home both album and record of the year at the Grammy Awards for "Raising Sand," which featured bluegrass legend Alison Krauss and former Led Zeppelin front man Robert Plant.
Winsor Brown French (A1859)
Sixty-three Tufts graduates fought in the Civil War, many with distinction. Winsor Brown French, who graduated in 1859, was a brigadier general and the first man to gain the heights of Fredericksburg.
Fred Stark Pearson (A1883, G1884)
While still an undergraduate, Fred Stark Pearson invented a solenoid tripping device for railroad signals. Later he designed basic equipment for the electric streetcar and the great hydroelectric installation on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. When Pearson died in the sinking of the Lusitania at the height of his career, the German Kaiser singled out his name from the list of those lost and expressed regret at the death of so illustrious an engineer.
Jessie Gideon Garnett (D1919)
Jessie Gideon Garnett was the first African-American woman to graduate from Tufts Dental School and was Boston's first female African-American dentist, practicing out of her home in Roxbury from 1919 to 1969.
Max Tishler (A28)
Max Tishler played an important role in the early success of the pharmaceutical giant Merck. A chemist at the company, Tishler isolated and synthesized vitamins B2, B6, K1 and E and led the team that made penicillin production a reality. He also directed the development of drugs for heart disease, hypertension, depression and rheumatoid arthritis. Tufts presents an annual scholarship in his honor.
Vannevar Bush (A1913, G1913)
Vannevar Bush established the U.S. military/university research partnership that went on to develop ARPANET, the precursor to the Internet. His most significant contribution to the age of information technology came in an article titled "As We May Think," about an information system he called "memex," that was published in the Atlantic Monthly in July 1945.
Frederick Ellis (E29) and Dorothea Loughlin (J31)
In the summer of 1931, two Tufts alumni crammed graduation, their wedding and the senior prom into one day. Frederick "Fish" Ellis married Dorothea Loughlin only hours after her graduation from Jackson College. That night, they attended Dorothea's senior prom. Fish, one of Tufts' football legends, went on to coach the Jumbos for 20 years, and in 1969, the university renamed the field the Frederick M. Ellis Oval.
William Harrington (M47)
At age 28, William Harrington, who development treatments for sickle cell anemia, became the youngest person ever elected to the American Society of Clinical Investigation. By experimenting on himself, he was also the first to document autoimmune disease.
Stuart Welch, a professor of surgery at Tufts Medical School, performed the first mammalian liver transplant in 1955.
Brooks Johnson, A56
While at Tufts in the 1950s, Brooks Johnson set the American intercollegiate record and a world record in the 60-yard dash. He won gold with the U.S. 400-meter relay team in the 1959 Pan American Games. He coached the 1984 U.S. Olympic women's track and field team, which earned 15 medals in 16 events, including seven golds. He was inducted into the U.S. Track Coaches Association Hall of Fame in 1997.
Victor A. Prather Jr. (A47, M52)
While testing a space suit for NASA, Victor A. Prather Jr., a naval flight surgeon, made an historic balloon flight on May 4, 1961, reaching a world-record altitude of 113,720 feet (21½miles) over the Gulf of Mexico. The balloon descended after nearly 10 hours, but Prather slipped from a helicopter rescue hook and drowned.
Norbert Wiener (A1909)
Norbert Wiener, a world-renowned mathematician, founded the science of cybernetics and formulated some of the most important contributions to mathematics in the 20th century. A child prodigy, Wiener was the youngest person to graduate from Tufts, at age 14.
Judith Vaitukaitis (J62)
In 1971, Judith Vaitukaitis made a key discovery that led to the first home pregnancy test. Looking for ways to detect certain types of cancer, Vaitukaitis and her colleagues stumbled onto a method to detect pregnancy early on.
Percy H. Hill Jr.
A design engineer, Percy H. Hill Jr., who taught at Tufts for 35 years, designed the original Reach toothbrush.
Frederick "Rick" Hauck (A62, H07)
Frederick "Rick" Hauck has flown on three space shuttle missions, and was commander of the redesigned Discovery, the first shuttle flight following the Challenger disaster in January 1986. He was named into the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame in 2001, becoming the first shuttle commander to receive the honor.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
In 1913, the football career of a promising Amy halfback named Dwight D. Eisenhower came to an end in a game against Tufts at West Point when he injured his knee after being tackled by a Tufts man. "Credit for the tackle which injured you is now being claimed by more of our alumni than were on the football squad at that time," Tufts President Nils Y. Wessell wrote in a letter to Eisenhower, then the nation's 34th president, in August 1955.
Nick Trotman (A94)
In 1998, Nick Trotman became the first American skipper in 15 years to win the 505 World Sailing Championships.
William "Johnny" Grinnell (A35)
William "Johnny" Grinnell, a leader on Tufts' undefeated football team in 1934, was inducted posthumously into the College Football Hall of Fame on August 16, 1997. Grinnell knew he had been selected for the honor prior to his death from congestive heart failure less than two months before the induction ceremony in South Bend, Indiana.
Professor Sol Gittleman, who served as Tufts' provost for more than two decades, threw out the first pitch at a Red Sox-Rangers game in 2002. Boston's Lou Merloni, who was the ceremonial catcher, joked that Gittleman's pitch hurt his hand. Gittleman, a professed baseball fanatic, once billed the provost's office as a place to get "advice, conversation, wisdom and baseball trivia."
Maren Seidler (J73)
Maren Seidler, one of the top shot-putters in U.S. athletics history, had already competed in the 1968 Olympics before she entered Jackson College. She dominated her sport for 13 years, winning 23 national shot-put titles, indoors and outdoors, from 1967to 1980, competing in three Olympics and setting American records in shot-put 16 times. She was the first American woman to break 60 feet in the event. Seidler was inducted into the U.S. Track and Field Hall of Fame in 2000.
Branwen Smith-King, the assistant director of athletics at Tufts, has participated in the Summer Olympics as both an athlete and coach. In 1972, she was part of the Munich games as a junior athlete;in 1996, she attended the Atlanta games as the team manager for Bermuda.
Larry Harris (A00) and Jesse Levey (A02)
While still at Tufts, Larry Harris and Jesse Levey founded United Leaders Institute for Political Service, a nonprofit committed to engaging young people in politics.
Joseph Kirsner (M33)
Known affectionately as "GI Joe" for his expertise in gastrointestinal diseases, Joseph Kirsner has been a pioneer in gastroenterology for 75 years. He entered gastroenterology when it was considered to be a psychological disorder and played a major role in its development into an important branch of medicine.
Rabbi Jeffrey Summit
Rabbi Jeffrey Summit, executive director of Tufts Hillel and an associate professor of music, earned a Grammy Award nomination in 2004 in the category of traditional world music for the album Abayudaya: Music from the Jewish People of Uganda.
Tommy Calvert (A02)
A modern-day abolitionist, Tommy Calvert joined other activists during his senior year to help liberate 6,000 slaves in Sudan.
Meg Hourihan (J94)
Meg Hourihan is the co-creator of Blogger, a web publishing tool that helped revolutionize personal publishing and make 'blog' (short for weblog) a household word.
In 1889, Tufts trustee and benefactor P.T. Barnum donated the stuffed hide of his prized elephant Jumbo to Tufts University. (He gave Jumbo's bones to the American Museum of Natural History in New York). In addition to lending his name to Tufts' athletic teams, Jumbo was believed to bring good luck. Before big exams or games, students would tug on his tail or put pennies in his trunk to ensure a good outcome.
Aljernon Bolden (D76)
In May 2005, Ebony magazine named Tufts School of Dental Medicine alumnus Aljernon Bolden one of the 100 Most Influential Black Americans.
Tufts School of Medicine professor Abraham "Linc" Sonenshein and his colleagues received a $5 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2005 for research into heat-resistant vaccines—a development that could change the way vaccines are distributed to children in the poorest parts of the world.
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
In 2004, Cummings Foundation Inc., run by William Cummings, A'58, a trustee emeritus of Tufts—committed $50 million to the university's veterinary school over the next 15 years. The school was renamed the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University.
The Center for Scientific Visualization
In 2008, Tufts opened the Center for Scientific Visualization. Commonly known as the VisWall, the center features a high-resolution 3D display screen so researchers can see images more in-depth than ever, opening the possibility for new discoveries.
Granoff Music Center
The Perry and Marty Granoff Music Center opened in February 2007. The $27 million state-of-the-art building contains a 300-person recital hall, practice rooms, recording studios and sound system.
The Sharewood Project
The Tufts-run Sharewood Project gives free confidential medical care to anyone, no questions asked. Supported by donations from School of Medicine alumni and staffed entirely by volunteers, the clinic operates out of a church gym in Malden, Mass., and serves dozens of patients—the majority of whom lack health insurance—each Tuesday night. With an annual budget of $40,000, the clinic treats patients whose illnesses range from common colds to cancer.
Built in 1853, Ballou Hall is the oldest building on Tufts' Medford/Somerville campus. It was initially known as College Hall. Now home to administrative offices, Ballou formerly housed laboratories, the library, a chapel and even served as a men's dormitory when Tufts had just six students.
The Gifford House, located on the Medford/Somerville campus, was built in 1938 to serve as the residence of President Leonard Carmichael. The 15 room home underwent a major renovation in 1993 under the direction of President John A. DiBiaggio, who wanted to recognize its importance as a home" for the entire university. It was dedicated as the Gifford House, in honor of Nelson S. Gifford, A52, H96, the former chair of the university's Board of Trustees.
The Tufts European Center
The Tufts European Center is located in Talloires, France. An 11th-century Benedictine monastary, the priory was purchased in 1958 by Donald MacJannet, A1916, H79, and his wife, Charlotte. The couple ran summer camps for boys and girls and hosted educational and ecumenical conferences there before donating it to Tufts in 1979. Talloires sits on the shore of Lake Annecy in the French Alps, an hour's drive from Geneva. Every summer, the center, known as Tufts' European campus, hosts numerous programs, ranging from full-credit courses for undergraduates to seminars for alumni and international professionals.
Center for the Humanities at Tufts
The Center for the Humanities at Tufts opened in 2008 as an interdisciplinary center for programming and events that bring together scholars in the humanities along with writers and intellectuals.
The Fletcher School
Founded in 1933 as the only graduate school of international affairs in the U.S., the Fletcher School enrolls more than 300 students from more than 70 countries around the world.
Originally known as Goddard Gymnasium, Goddard Hall was built in 1883 to meet the physical education needs of Tufts students. Beginning in 1897, two hours per week of gymnasium work were required of freshmen and sophomores from Thanksgiving until spring recess. The gym also hosted Tufts' very first varsity basketball game, on January 7, 1901. Goddard also was the only place on campus big enough for dances and large gatherings. After the new Cousens Gymnasium opened in 1932, Goddard Gym became Goddard Hall, and now is home to the Ginn Library at the Fletcher School.
Constructed in 1856, Packard Hall was the first dormitory on the Tufts campus. Originally designated "Building A," it quickly became known simply as the Boarding House. Students lived on the upper floors;the lower level was used as a dining hall and a large barn at the rear of the building housed farm animals and tools. It was named Packard Hall in 1908, after Sylvanus Packard, a Tufts trustee from 1852 to 1866. The building, which was renovated in 2009, now houses the Department of Political Science.
The Laminan Lounge, located in the F.W. Olin Center for Language and Culture Studies on Tufts'' Medford/Somerville campus, was named in memory of Toivo Laminan, A31, G34. Raised as a ward of the state at the Perkins School for the Blind, Laminan's spirit and intellect earned him admission to Tufts. The industrious student—who navigated campus by counting his steps—studied Romance languages and literature, which were read to him by peer volunteers. In 1963, he and his wife established the Laminan Prize in Romance Languages, an annual award for distinguished undergraduate work in the department.
Tufts College Valley
A mountain pass between the Rouen Mountains and the Elgar Uplands in Antarctica is named after Tufts. Discovered in 1937 by the polar explorer Robert R. Nichols, A26, H78, then chair of Tufts' geology department, the pass is also known as Tufts College Valley. Nichols named the pass to honor the university while serving as senior scientist and trailman for the 1947-48 Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition.
Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
The Jean Mayer U. S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA) at Tufts was established in 1977 by an act of Congress. Operated by the university under the authority of the USDA and located on Tufts' Boston campus, the HNRCA is the first research center in the world to examine the relationship between nutrition and aging. One of six USDA research centers in the country, it is named for Jean Mayer, the former Tufts president, who was an internationally known nutritionist and founded the nutrition school at Tufts.
The Eliot-Pearson Children's School
Founded in 1926 as the Nursery Training School by Abigail Eliot and Mrs. Henry Greenleaf Pearson, the Eliot-Pearson Children's School is a laboratory school serving 80 children in preschool through second grade. Classrooms are fully integrated, and include children with special needs as well as children and families from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds. Observation facilities and practicum sites provide training and research opportunities for Tufts undergraduate and graduate students and early childhood professionals from around New England.
Located at 8 Professors Row, Capen House was built and named for Tufts President Elmer Hewitt Capen. When Capen became president in 1875, the trustees decided it would be desirable to have the president live on campus rather than commute. The house was completed the following year for $21,692.89, and served as a home for the next three Tufts presidents. The house now houses the Africana Center and serves as a residence for students interested in African-American culture.
Tisch Library, formerly Wessell Library, opened in January 1996 after $21 million in renovations and two years of new construction added 80,000 square feet to the building, part of which was funded with a $10 million gift from Jonathan Tisch, A76, and Steven Tisch, A71. Many praised the expansion, which built "out" instead of up to save the grass-covered library roof, a popular gathering place for students.
Bray Memorial Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering
Built in 1947, the Bray Memorial Laboratory of Mechanical Engineering was built at a time when wartime materials restrictions made new construction difficult. Thus, bricks salvaged from the drained reservoir on campus were used to face the new building, which provided a laboratory and classroom space for the Department of Mechanical Engineering, and served as a Navy test laboratory for many years. Today, it continues to be the central laboratory facility for the mechanical engineering department.
Built as an addition to Cousens Gymnasium in 1946, Hamilton Pool was the first permanent construction project completed by the university after World War II. The pool, which rejuvenated the swimming program that had floundered in the 1920s, was designed by the architect Arland Dirlam, E26, H53. It was named for Frederick W. Hamilton (A1888), the fourth president of Tufts.
Named for its location, South Hall was built in 1991 on the Medford/Somerville campus. Tufts' largest residence hall, with 378 beds in single and double rooms, the hall is known for the shape of its rooms, which are long and thin as opposed to the square rooms found in most other dorms on campus.
20 Professors Row
The building that houses the offices of the Boards of Overseers and the Vice Provost is the second oldest building on Tufts' campus. Built in 1854 to serve as a residence for Tufts' first president, Hosea Ballou 2nd, it was originally situated between Ballou Hall and Professors Row. The house was moved in the early 1870s to make way for the construction of Packard Avenue. It was used as a residence for Tufts faculty members before it was converted into administrative offices in 1999.
Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building
Located on the Grafton campus of the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, the Bernice Barbour Wildlife Medicine Building was constructed in 2000 to house the school's Wildlife Clinic. The 11,000 square-foot building features a filtered pool for aquatic animals, an indoor ward for carnivores, small and large animal runs, flight cages, enlarged surgical and diagnostic facilities and a conference room for seminars and public gatherings.
School of Engineering
While the School of Engineering was not formally established until 1898, engineering degrees and courses have been offered at Tufts since 1865. In the early years of the program, equipment was in short supply—in fact, many student projects involved creating much-needed equipment. In 1984, some electrical engineering students designed and constructed an alternating current dynamo for less than $700, about a third of the market price.
Constructed in 1959, Lane Hall was the original home of the BouvÉ-Boston School of Occupational Therapy and Physical Education. Tufts bought the building in 1966 to house the Department of Geology. It is named for Alfred Church Lane, H1913, who taught geology and mineralogy at Tufts from 1909 to 1936 and was known by some scientists as the "Forgotten Man" of atomic research for his early work on splitting the atom. Today, Lane Hall remains the home of the geology department and also provides classroom space for the joint-degree program of Tufts and Boston's School of the Museum of Fine Arts.
Feinstein International Center
In 1996, Tufts established the Alan Shawn Feinstein International Famine Center, later renamed the Feinstein International Center, to study and develop policy recommendations for conflict, famine, complex emergencies and other disasters around the world. Located on the Medford/Somerville campus, the Feinstein Center, through the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy and the Fletcher School, offers a one-year M.A. in humanitarian assistance.
Now used as classroom and office space, East Hall on the Medford/Somerville campus was originally constructed as a dormitory in 1860. Built $19,191, the three-story dorm accommodated 50 students. During World Wars I and II, the building was used as an Army barracks.
Ellis Oval, home of Tufts' football and outdoor track, was named for Frederick "Fish" Ellis, E1916, one of the greatest athletes in Tufts' history. The first to earn varsity letters in four sports, Ellis quarterbacked Tufts' football team during its undefeated season in 1927.
The Floating Hospital
The world's first pediatric trauma center was established at The Floating Hospital at Tufts Medical Center in 1981.
Tufts Medical Center
Tufts Medical Center's origins date back to 1796, when it was founded as the first permanent medical facility in New England. Then known as the Boston Dispensary, it's one of the oldest hospitals in the country. More recently it ranks among the top 10 percent of the nation's institutions that receive federal research funds.
Mayer Campus Center
The Elizabeth van Huysen Mayer Campus Center, named for the wife of former Tufts President Jean Mayer, was dedicated on February 1, 1985. Winner of three architectural awards, it has since expanded its dining facilities and increased conference, study and lounge areas.
Located between Ballou Hall and Goddard Chapel, the cannon is a replica of one aboard the USS Constitution and was presented to Tufts in 1956 as a gift from the Medford Historical Society. Since 1977, students have made a tradition of painting messages on the cannon under cover of darkness, ranging from support for sports teams to political endorsements to marriage proposals.
Tufts' Abyssal Plain
Located deep in the Pacific Ocean is a 14,000-square-mile abyssal plain named after Tufts. Twice the size of New England, the plain was named by 1951 Tufts graduate Robert Hurley while he made oceanographic studies of the area. The Tufts plain honors not only the university, but also the work of alumni in the field, who were among the first to chart the waters in the area.
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Investigators
Three infectious disease researchers at Tufts—Andrew Camilli, Ralph Isberg and Matthew Waldor—in 2005 were named investigators of the prestigious Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), the nation's largest private supporter of science education. The following year, David Walt, the Robinson Professor of Chemistry at Tufts, was named a Howard Hughes Medical Institute professor. In 2010, the award-winning scientist Sean Carroll, who earned his Ph.D. in immunology from the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences in 1983, was named vice president for science education at HHMI.
Top 20 LGBT Schools
In 2006, The Advocate College Guide for LGBT Students ranked Tufts as one of 20 best schools in the U.S. for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.
In 2006, Newsweek named Tufts one of the 25 "New Ivies" in its annual guide.
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Award
In 2007, the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation awarded Tufts and the Massachusetts Campus Compact $1 million to create a statewide college advising program so that high school students from every background would have a chance at a college education.
In 2009-2010, Kiplinger's Personal Finance ranked Tufts 22nd in terms of best value for level of education.
Tufts Distinction Awards
The first Tufts Distinction Awards, which celebrate staff and faculty who make Tufts an outstanding place to work and learn, were held in May 2008.
Generous Young Americans
In 2003, three Tufts graduates, Alison Goldberg, J96, and Pierre Omidyar, A88, and Pamela Omidyar, J89, were named to Worth Magazine's list of the "Top 25 Most Generous Young Americans."
The Best Place to Work
Tufts has been ranked by Boston Magazine as one of the best places to work in Boston.
Tufts was ranked 14th in the nation by Princeton Review's 2005 College Guide for the quality of its dining halls.
America's 25 "Hot Schools"
Newsweek and Kaplan named Tufts one of America's 25 "hot schools" in 2005 for its diverse study abroad offerings.
In 2004, two Tufts engineering seniors, Melissa Pickering and Lindsay Shanholt, won first place in Imagi-Nations, a national design competition for college students sponsored by Walt Disney Imagineering, for their restaurant Invention Kitchen.
Discoveries & Firsts
Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)
A group of scientists, including Jonathan Epstein, V02, MPH02, determined the origin of severe acute respiratory syndrome, better known as SARS. The researchers found that a type of bat is to blame for the spread of the highly contagious and sometimes-deadly virus.
In a 2005 study, researchers from Tufts Medical School isolated stem cells derived from human bone marrow that they believe might be just as viable as embryonic stem cells in terms of their ability to regenerate organs or fight disease.
Obesity in Immigrants
Tufts received a $2.3 million grant from the National Institutes of Health in 2009 to study obesity in immigrants in the city of Somerville. Led by Christina Economos, an associate professor and holder of the New Balance Chair in Childhood Nutrition at the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, the program is following nearly 400 mothers and their children who have lived in Somerville for at least two years. This project is believed to be the first clinical trial on obesity conducted on an immigrant population.
In 2004, scientists from the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, in collaboration with a Rhode Island foundation, became the first in the country to engineer the reproduction of a goat belonging to an endangered breed by using a frozen embryo carried by a surrogate mother of another breed. The goal of this project is to preserve the genetic material of rare breeds of domestic livestock.
The Term Hour System
The "term hour" system, which is now used almost universally in academic institutions throughout the country, was invented and first used at Tufts in 1892.
Community Health Centers
Tufts Medical School faculty members Count Gibson and Jack Geiger established the nation's first comprehensive community health centers at Boston's Columbia Point Housing Project and in Mound Bayou, Miss., in the mid-1960s.
The world's first experiment in group psychotherapy was conducted at the Boston Dispensary, now Tufts Medical Center, in 1930.
Drama & Speech
In 1940, Tufts established the first Department of Drama & Speech in New England.
Tufts' 1XE radio station—which was broadcast from a 304-foot radio tower and studio on the Medford/Somerville campus—was the nation's second radio station when it hit the airwaves in 1914. By the spring of 1921, radio was becoming more popular, and 1XE was the first station in the country to broadcast on a daily schedule. 1XE's programming included music, nightly police reports and even bedtime stories.
Human Growth Hormone
The first preparation of human growth hormone was developed at Tufts-New England Medical Center in 1952.
Laser Heart Surgery
In 1983, the first successful laser heart surgery was performed at Tufts-New England Medical Center.
An effort by Tufts to review the body of research on tai chi found that beside helping practitioners release energy and negative feelings, the ancient practice may also be linked to other health benefits, including increased flexibility and cardiovascular health.
The 2007-08 women's basketball team broke the Tufts record of best season start when they won nine games in a row.
The Tufts baseball team first competed in the NCAA World Series in 1950. The women's lacrosse team won five straight ECAC championships from 1985 to 1989, and the women's tennis team won nine straight NCAA bids since 2000. The Tufts sailing team won the 2001 Inter-collegiate Sailing Association (ICSA) Dinghy National Championship, and has won more championships in the 1990s than any other team. In 2010, the men's lacrosse team won the first-ever NCAA team championship in Tufts' history with a 9-6 victory over Salisbury University before a crowd of more than 20,000 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore.
Red Sox Spring Training
In 1943, the Boston Red Sox held spring training in the Cage in Cousens Gym.
Major League Baseball
Three Tufts graduates have all been drafted by Major League Baseball in recent years. Pitchers Jeff Taglienti, A97, and Randy Newsom, A04, were recruited by the Red Sox organization, while the Arizona Diamondbacks drafted right fielder Dan Callahan, A02.
Tufts' First Women's Baseball Game
In 1914, Tufts women competed in the first female baseball games in university history.
Three members of Tufts' 1916 baseball team went on to play in the major leagues, including catcher "Red" Carroll, who caught his last game for Tufts on a Saturday, and was behind the plate the following Tuesday for the Philadelphia Athletics.
The roots of Tufts' nationally renowned sailing team date back to the 1890s, when Tufts started its first yacht club. In 1939, Tufts joined the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association, and in 1948 constructed the Tufts boat house on nearby Upper Mystic Lake.
The First College Football Game
Although several colleges claim the honor, the first true football game between two American colleges took place on June 4, 1875, when Tufts beat Harvard 10. While Princeton and Rutgers claimed to have played the first football game in 1869, their game was basically a rough version of soccer, and carrying the ball and tackling were forbidden. The Tufts-Harvard game featured catching and running with the ball, tactics of the more modern version of football.
Tufts' First Official Baseball Game
The first official baseball game at Tufts was played on September 5, 1863, when a team of sophomores defeated the freshman team 9-6.
The President's Marathon Challenge
The President's Marathon Challenge, which began in 2003, recruits Tufts students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends to run the Boston Marathon and raise money to support nutrition, medical and fitness research as well as education and outreach programs at the university.
In 2010, the men's lacrosse team won the first-ever NCAA team title in Tufts' history with a 9-6 victory over Salisbury University.
Programs & Organizations
Business Plan Competition
Tufts' Entrepreneurial Leadership Program sponsors an annual business plan competition in which students compete for nearly $100,000 in prize money. Ideas like peelable paint and alternative higher education plans have emerged from these competitions.
World Future Energy Summit
A group of Tufts students comprised the only undergraduate delegation at the World Future Energy Summit in 2008. The students, all members of the Energy Security Initiative in the Institute of Global Leadership, studied renewable and sustainable energy in the United Arab Emirates.
The Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service is a national leader in civic engagement and education. Launched in 1999 with a $10 million grant from eBay founder Pierre Omidyar (A'88) and his wife Pam (J'89) and endowed in 2006 by a $40 million gift from Jonathan M. Tisch (A'76), the college encourages students to become involved in public service.
In September 2005 at Tufts' European campus in Talloires, France, Tufts President Lawrence S. Bacow convened the first international meeting of university presidents, rectors and vice chancellors to focus on civic engagement and social responsibility.
Tufts Climate Initiative (TCI)
The Tufts Climate Initiative (TCI) received the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's 2005 Climate Protection Award. TCI was one of just 17 award winners from the U.S., India and Japan to receive this prestigious recognition for "exemplary efforts and achievements in protecting the climate."
SPIRAL (Selected Patient Information Resources in Asian Languages), a website developed by Tufts' Hirsh Health Sciences Library, provides detailed health documents in seven different languages, including Chinese, Hmong, Khmer, Korean, Laotian, Thai and Vietnamese.
The Dayton Peace Accords Project
The Dayton Peace Accords Project, co-founded by Bruce Hitchner, a classics professor at Tufts, a year after the 1995 Dayton Peace Accords ended the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina, seeks to engage and educate people about democratization and development around the world. Hitchner was also part of the group that helped draft a constitution for the Serbian province of Kosovo.
In May 2004, Tufts launched an interdisciplinary minor in Latino studies, the first of its kind to be offered by a private university in the Boston area.
International Veterinary Medicine
The International Veterinary Medicine program at the Cummings School, launched in 1981, trains students to address disease outbreaks and other public health issues that have global repercussions.
Tufts' commitment to bioterrorism research was recognized in the fall of 2003, when the National Institutes of Health awarded $25 million to the veterinary school for research into food- and water-borne illnesses.
Active Citizenship Summers
Dozens of Tufts students blend research and community engagement by participating in public service projects with both global and local impact each summer through the university's Active Citizenship Summers program, funded by the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service.
In November 2006, Tufts began a $1.2 billion fundraising campaign known as Beyond Boundaries.
Center for Animals and Public Policy
The Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine was the first veterinary school to establish a Center for Animals and Public Policy and the first to develop a veterinary ethics textbook.
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
The Gerald J. and Dorothy R. Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy is the only independent graduate school of nutrition in North America.
Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences
The Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences was established in 1980 as part of then-President Jean Mayer's vision of a "one-medicine" approach to teaching the health sciences at Tufts.
School of Dental Medicine
Tufts Dental School came into existence in 1899, when Tufts acquired the Boston Dental College. Today, the school is the second largest dental school in the country. In its clinics in downtown Boston, faculty and students provide care to 20,000 patients each year, many of whom lack dental insurance.
School of Medicine
Tufts School of Medicine was established with a vote of the Tufts trustees on April 22, 1893. The school was, from the very beginning, coeducational, and of the 22 students who graduated in the first class, eight were women. By 1905, the medical school was the largest such school in New England, with a faculty of 105 and 403 students.
Tissue Engineering Resource Center
Tufts' Tissue Engineering Resource Center, founded in 2004 with a $4 million grant from the National Institutes of Health, works to integrate tissue research taking place across the university. According to center director David Kaplan, it is the only facility of its kind in the United States.
Craniofacial Pain Center
The School of Dental Medicine is home to the nation's largest craniofacial pain center.
School of Occupational Therapy
One of the nation's first schools of occupational therapy is housed at Tufts. Founded in 1918 by the U.S. Surgeon General, the Boston School of Occupational Therapy was originally established to help rehabilitate injured military personnel after World War I. The school officially became part of Tufts in 1945.
Adventures in Veterinary Medicine
Every summer, the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine offers a weeklong exploratory program called Adventures in Veterinary Medicine for elementary, high school and college students as well as adults who are interested in becoming veterinarians.
Every year, students in the Ghana Gold: A Corporate Social Responsibility Study Tour travel to Ghana for two weeks, exploring the gold industry of the country. Meeting with various artists, businessmen and workers, students get a firsthand look at one of the booming economies of Africa.
Founded in 1984, the Amalgamates are Tufts' first co-ed a cappella singing group. Known as the Mates, the group performs on campus and has released several albums. Songs from their albums have all landed on tracks of the Best of College A Cappella compilations, and the group has been nominated for multiple Contemporary A Cappella Recording Awards (CARAs).
Tufts Emergency Medical Services (TEMS)
TEMS is a volunteer, student-run, quick-response basic life support service on the Medford/Somerville campus. TEMS grew out of the work of David Levitt (A'85), who started the organization with his friends in fall 1984. At first, volunteers responded to calls on foot, with only basic first-aid supplies and during limited hours. By 1991, it was outfitted with a fully equipped basic life support vehicle, complete with two-way radios and sirens. Today, TEMS marshals the resources of approximately 30 student volunteers to provide emergency response services on campus 24/7.
Now called the Tufts Observer, the Tufts Weekly was first published in 1895. The first issues covered news, alumni affairs and sports (which always appeared on the front page). Prior to the Weekly, the monthly Tuftonian was the closest Tufts had to a campus newspaper. In 1969, the name was changed to the Observer to reflect the paper's biweekly publication status.
Founded in 1962, the all-male a cappella singing group the Beelzebubs is one of the oldest student groups on campus. Known as the Bubs, the ensemble's actual name is "Jumbo's Disciples: The Beelzebubs," a play on John Milton's description of the devil's right-hand man. The group has traveled around the world and appeared on CBS's Late Night with David Letterman and at Major League Baseball's All Star Game at Fenway Park. In December 2009, the group was one of eight vocal ensembles from around the country selected to participate in NBC's a cappella competition The Sing-Off, ultimately coming in second place.
For several years, Tufts has ranked as one of the top Peace Corps suppliers among universities its size.
Magic Circle Theater
Established in 1952, Magic Circle Theater, part of Tufts' Children's Theater Programs, is New England's oldest theater by and for children ages 11 to 15. Every summer, the theater troupe stages public performances of three plays in repertory for children in the Balch Arena Theater.
Freshman Orientation Community Service (FOCUS), a weeklong pre-orientation option, allows incoming students to meet their new classmates while doing community service in areas ranging from homelessness to children's issues.
Water: Systems, Science, and Society
Water: Systems, Science, and Society (WSSS), an interdisciplinary program that brings together students and faculty from six Tufts schools to address water resource issues, is one of the only programs of its kind in the country.
The Leonard Carmichael Society
The Leonard Carmichael Society, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2008, is the largest student-run organization on campus. More than 1,000 volunteers in 40 programs focus on different aspects of community service and advocacy.
Education for Public Inquiry and International Citizenship (EPIIC)
In the 20 years since the launch of Tufts' Education for Public Inquiry and International Citizenship (EPIIC) program, the hundreds of students who joined its ranks have tackled a range of complex global topics through individual and group research, internships and interactions with experts in various fields. The annual EPIIC symposium brings together scholars and experts from around the world to discuss an issue of global importance.
Tufts Food Awareness Project
The Tufts Food Awareness Project (TFAP) works with Tufts Dining Services to solve problems and forge partnerships among Tufts' chefs, major food distributors and local farmers.
Created in 2003, the Summer Scholars program funds opportunities for dozens of students to work closely with Tufts faculty on research projects that have ranged from jazz theory to the formation of internal organs.
Shape Up Somerville
Shape Up Somerville, administered by the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, is a citywide health intervention program designed to holistically address childhood obesity in Somerville, where 46 percent of students in grades 1 to 3 were found to be overweight or at risk for obesity.
The Fares Lecture Series
The Fares Lecture Series, established in 1992 to foster greater understanding of issues concerning the Middle East, has brought Tony Blair, Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton, Colin Powell, former Presidents Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush, Margaret Thatcher, James Baker, George Mitchell and former French President Valery Giscard d'Estaing to campus.
Pen, Paint, and Pretzels
Tufts' student drama society, Pen, Paint and Pretzels, was founded in 1910 by undergraduates. Their first production, "Teamwork," written by Gott and Gallupe, premiered on December 15, 1910.
In 2007, Tufts replaced student loans with grants for undergraduates from families with a yearly income of less than $40,000. This switch ensured that prospective students from low-income families would have the opportunity to receive a Tufts education.
Tufts Wilderness Orientation
Each year, more than 200 incoming freshman participate in Tufts Wilderness Orientation, a five-day trip that features backpacking, canoeing, hiking and bonding between new classmates.
Presidential Award for Citizenship and Public Service
Each year Tufts recognizes outstanding undergraduates and graduates for their community service and leadership achievement with the Presidential Award for Citizenship and Public Service.
Tufts is among the top 10 research universities for the percentage of undergraduates who study abroad.
Tufts is one of a handful of universities in the United States participating in the OpenCourseWare initiative, publishing select course materials on the Internet free of charge to teachers, students and self-learners around the world.
"The Analysis of Baseball: Statistics and Sabermetrics"
From 2004 to 2005, Tufts' Experimental College offered a class called "The Analysis of Baseball: Statistics and Sabermetrics," which taught students the evolving science of assessing baseball player performance.
Traditions & Origins
The Tufts Mace
A symbol of authority since medieval times, the mace was created in 1938 to be used in university ceremonies such as presidential inaugurations and commencements. Made of rosewood and polished brass, it includes the official Tufts seal as the finial, an unusual feature in a university mace. The Tufts mace was first used on November 4, 1938, for the inauguration of President Leonard Carmichael.
Goddard Chapel Bells
The carillon of 25 bells in Goddard Chapel, which ring daily at five o'clock in the afternoon, was started in 1908 with an "A" bell. Given by the Class of 1898, the first bell rang to announce football victories and other Tufts events. In 1926, Eugene A. Bowen, who worked his way through Tufts as the campus bell-ringer, donated an nine more bells to the university. The final 15 bells were given in 1964 in honor of former provost and senior vice president John P. Tilton.
One of the earliest water supplies for Tufts was the "college pump." Installed in 1888, the log construction with a cast-iron spout eventually became a campus landmark. The pump was frequently painted by rival classes and used to chastise students who failed to respect college traditions. In 1900 the pump was replaced with a bubbler and renamed "the Bubble." It remained on campus until 1944.
Up until 1894, there were no majors at Tufts. Instead, students completed a fixed curriculum leading toward the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. The standard course load was based on a classical curriculum and included Latin, Greek, rhetoric, mathematics, theology and political economy.
A Hole in One
A six-hole golf course spanned almost all of the downhill section of the Medford/Somerville campus until 1958. Built by student volunteers in 1924, the golf course was a popular campus landmark until the late 1950s, when it was closed to make room for the construction of Bush and Tilton halls.
Rowing the Mystic
In the early days of Tufts, male students used rowboats to take their dates to Boston. Lacking the funds to pay for upscale transportation methods such as automobile, bus, trolley or horse and buggy, Tufts men would rent or borrow boats and row their dates down the Mystic River and into the city.
Coat of Arms
In 1939, a coat of arms was adopted for Tufts College for use on unofficial documents (the Tufts seal was used for official documents). The shield, with a blue background, was divided into four quarters showing the sun, two books and the descending dove with the motto on a ribbon and leaves on either side. In later years, confusion arose regarding when the seal or the coat of arms should be used, and the design of the seal was revised. The use of the coat of arms was discontinued in the mid-1960s.
In the early years of Tufts, cherry red was informally used as the school color. In 1876, however, undergraduates, who felt that red was too similar to Harvard's crimson, decided to establish recognized colors. In the ensuing debates, two camps emerged: one for brown and pearl white, and one for brown and gold. Brown and blue were chosen as a compromise. The colors were not made official until more than 80 years later, when the trustees voted on the issue in 1960. The first yearbook published in 1878 used the chocolate brown and sky blue that signify Tufts today.
The "Ivy Book"
The "Ivy Book" was the Tufts freshman bible for almost 70 years. Published by the Ivy Society—a sophomore honor society dedicated to keeping campus traditions—from 1902 to 1971, the book contained a college calendar, names of all fraternities and sororities, campus cheers and songs and a list of all traditions and other important information. Freshmen were required to carry the pocket-sized book with them at all times.
Mayor of Tufts
Every spring from 1937 to 1959, undergraduates elected an unofficial Mayor of Tufts. Running under whimsical names such as Stuporman, Captain Question Mark and Diamond Mike, candidates would rally support with soapbox speeches, skits, bands and even parades with floats and live animals. Almost all members of the Tufts community were involved in the mayoralty campaigns, seeing it as an opportunity for a dash of fun before final exams.
Women at Tufts
In 1892, 40 years after Tufts was founded, the Board of Trustees voted that the college be opened to women in the undergraduate departments on the same terms and conditions as men. Tufts President Elmer Capen said, "For 10 years I have felt this must come. The whole growth of the College has been toward a broader field."
An Egalitarian Institution
Throughout its history, Tufts has strived to be an egalitarian institution of higher learning. According to research by the late Tufts history professor Gerald R. Gill, "Tufts did not codify students on the basis of race in the 19th century—a rather progressive step 100 years ago."
The Early Days of Tufts
When Tufts first opened its doors in 1854, the school consisted of just seven students and four faculty members. Today, more than 150 years later, the University community has grown significantly, and now includes about 9,500 undergraduate and graduate students and 4,200 employees.
The Tufts Seal
Tufts' official seal was created on July 17, 1857. The design showed a dove with an olive branch and an open Bible as symbols. "Pax et Lux" (Peace and Light) was chosen as the aphorism, with the words Sigillum Collegii Tuftensis meaning seal of Tufts College.
As early as 1905, undergraduates took part in the informal tradition of "jamming" as part of the annual banquet season. Jamming involved "kidnapping" members of another class to prevent them from attending their class banquet, and thus preventing the banquet's success. Victims were captured and held until after their banquet had begun, lowering the turnout and giving the impression that their class did not have proper school spirit.
Our Mascot, Jumbo
Tufts has the only college mascot (Jumbo) listed in Webster's dictionary, and may be home to the world's largest collection of elephant statues donated by alumnus John Baronian (A'50, H'97).
Tufts Night at the Pops
Tufts was the first university in the Boston area to hold a special graduation event for seniors and alumni with the Boston Pops. Tufts Night at Popsbegan more than 100 years ago when the university bought all 2,304 seats in the newly opened Symphony Hall. An annual sellout, the event usually includes a performance of Tufts songs, and has even been televised as part of WGBH's Evening at the Pops series.
Tufts' first Commencement ceremony was held in 1856, although none of the students at the newly founded college met the graduation requirements. The first degree was awarded a year later during a ceremony in July.
Tufts in Space
The Tufts flag orbited the Earth 127 times (a distance of 3.3 million miles) in 1984 while on board the space shuttle with Frederick "Rick" Hauck (A'62, h'07). A year earlier, a recording of the Tufts fight song was used to wake up the shuttle crew. Several other Tufts items have made the trip to space, including a copy of School on the Hill and a Jumbo blanket from the Tufts Athletic Club.
Sword and Shield
Until the 1960s, first-year men were required to wear beanies around campus. The rule, which began in the early days of Tufts, was enforced by Sword and Shield, a sophomore student organization dedicated to promoting traditions and class rivalry. Freshmen purchased their brown-and-blue beanies at the bookstore and only removed them in the presence of professors or the president.
Heth Aleph Res
For nine years, a fraternity of theological students existed at Tufts. Formed in 1891, Heth Aleph Res was open only to students of Tufts College Divinity School, which existed from 1869 to 1968. After receiving a house on Sawyer Avenue in 1895, the short-lived organization dissolved in 1900.
College Equal Suffrage League
In the fall of 1915, students from Jackson College—the female counterpart to Tufts before separate education faded near the end of the decade—formed a chapter of the College Equal Suffrage League. The chapter brought pro- and anti-suffrage speakers to campus to educate the community about both sides of the issue during the first wave of the feminist movement.
Women and the 'Weekly'
In March 1944, two women shared the position of editor-in-chief of the Tufts Weekly (now the Tufts Observer), marking the first time the publication was managed totally by women.
Located in the basement of Curtis Hall, the Kursaal was an eatery and student hangout that opened in 1940. Established as a place for student recreation, it was named after a term used in European resorts to describe a pump room—although students, unaware of the origins of the name, thought it was a shortening of Curtis Hall. As there was no official campus center at the time, it served as one with activities including card-playing, reading, ping-pong and TV. It closed its doors with the opening of the Elizabeth van Huysen Mayer Campus Center in 1984.
188 Boylston Street
Now home of the Four Seasons Hotel, 188 Boylston Street was the first building occupied by Tufts School of Medicine, beginning in 1893. The school used the building, located next to the Public Garden in downtown Boston, for lecture halls, study rooms, labs and a dissecting room. After only three years, high enrollment numbers required that the school relocate to a renovated Baptist church on Shawmut Avenue in Boston.
After World War II, Tufts constructed Stearns Village, a temporary housing community for veterans returning to college on the G.I. Bill. Located on College Avenue from 1946 to 1955, the village housed 80 families in 12 buildings. Initially, Stearns Village was home to more than 40 children, and at one time had the highest birth rate in Middlesex County.
The Mathetican Society
Founded in 1854, the Mathetican Society, a literary organization, was the first student society at Tufts. Meetings involved debates, essays, poems and orations on topics including women's suffrage, taxes and world peace. The group also led an annual formal program following commencement for graduates and their families.
The Evening Party Association
The Evening Party Association, one of Tufts' earliest organizations, hosted an annual series of winter formals in Goddard Gymnasium. Purely a social group, its membership consisted of one senior from each of Tufts' fraternities. The organization, which faded away as World War II approached, held its last known dance in December 1940. It was a "gala affair" with music from Ted Marks, a man heralded as "second only to Gene Krupa in the skin-beating industry." All this for a $1.50 cover."