APUA Highlights include APUA-generated press releases, organizational news and announcements, articles featuring APUA staff, and short program reports. The free publication is sent out three times per year via email to all subscribers. Subscribe to APUA Highlights.
3/5/14: APUA February/March Highlights
- APUA names Honor Roll companies that responsibly limit antibiotic use in food products
- Dr. Levy participates in Harvard forum on addressing antibiotic resistance
- APUA presents third antibiotic stewardship webinar, hosted by Robert Gaynes, M.D.
- APUA welcomes new corporate sponsor, BacterioScan
- Sound Medicine interviews Dr. Stuart Levy on recent FDA Veterinary Feed Directive
- Pew Teleconference: Addressing the FDA Veterinary Feed Directive
- APUA-Lebanon sponsors antibiotic resistance workshop
- European collaboration targets novel antibiotics
- Chick-fil-A, Delta Airlines declare they will use antibiotic-free meat
- Partnership formed to combat antibiotic resistance as bioterrorism threat
- Decline in antibiotic prescriptions for children may have plateaued
- President Obama notes drug resistance research in State of the Union Address
- Residents near factory farms have elevated risk of MRSA carriage
- New dress code recommended to prevent HAI
- Narrow-spectrum antibiotics provide effective empiric therapy in pediatric pneumonia
- New diagnostic test differentiates C. diff strains
- March 20: British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy's Spring Meeting 2014, London, UK
- May 5: WHO call to action: Celebration of hand hygiene and AMR activity
- May 10-13: European Congress on Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID 2014), Barcelona, Spain
- May 17-20: American Society for Microbiology's Annual Meeting (ASM 2014), Boston, MA, USA
- Coming Soon: Resistance the film
10/30/13: APUA October Highlights
- APUA attends IDSA’s annual Infectious Diseases (ID) Week
- Winners of the 2013 APUA Leadership and Chapter Awards celebrated at ID Week
- APUA co-signs letter honoring Representative Louise Slaughter (D-New York)
- Microbe publishes “Minitopic” on antibiotics and malnutrition
- APUA to participate in Cuban conference on antimicrobial resistance
- APUANews reaches 1,000 tweets!
- APUA-Cuba letter appears in MEDISAN
- APUA-Nepal presents research at major antimicrobial resistance workshops
- APUA-Italy organizes educational event on carbapenemases and resistance gene spread
- CDC Report: Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, 2013
- Antibiotic resistance causes major treatment problems in U.S. Salmonella outbreak
- New delivery vehicle for fecal transplants
- Dermatologists contribute to overuse of antibiotics
- Senator Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) to reintroduce the STAAR Act to Congress
- Reprogrammed E. coli can kill pathogens
- Nov. 2-6: American Public Health Association's (APHA) Annual Meeting and Exposition, Boston, MA.
- Nov. 12-18: The Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases (ASID) and NPS MedicineWise host Antibiotic Awareness Week, Online.
- Nov. 18-24: CDC hosts Get Smart About Antibiotics Week, Online.
- Nov. 19-22: Epidemics4 - International Conference on Infectious Disease Dynamics, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
7/11/13: APUA July Highlights
- In a letter published in NEJM, APUA cautions against use of antibiotics to treat malnutrition
- APUA study cited in The Preventing Antibiotic Resistance Act of 2013
- APUA attends Massachusetts Coalition Workshop on UTI in the elderly
- PBS Frontline interviews APUA President Levy on antibiotic use in food animals
- APUA receives unrestricted grant from Alere to produce educational materials
- APUA supports antibiotic resistance-related initiatives
- STAAR Act
- Antimicrobial Data Collection Act
- Groups challenge FDA defense of NARMS 2011 Retail Meat Report
- UK raises alarm on rise of deadly superbugs
- FDA backs off from fecal transplant regulation
- Drug-resistant gonorrhea on the rise in Great Britain
- Stewardship intervention helps limit antibiotic misuse in children
- Are antibiotics in our meat breeding “superbugs”?
- New guidelines advise delaying antibiotics for children with sinusitis
- ANTIRESDEV research project publishes findings on antibiotic resistance
- APUA Chapter NewsAPUA-Mexico holds workshop on the rational use of antibiotics at AMIMC
- APUA-Lebanon conducts research on Acinetobacter baumannii
2/28/13: APUA February Highlights
- APUA President Dr. Stuart B. Levy lectures on agricultural antibiotics and human health
- APUA attends WHO meeting on strategies for surveillance of antimicrobial resistance
- APUA article on C. difficile receives wide distribution in Massachusetts
- APUA signs joint letter supporting new provisions to ADUFA
- APUA coordinating a letter to express concern about antibiotic use as treatment for malnutrition
- APUA-Cuba conducts courses on tropical diseases and risks of imprudent antibiotic use
- APUA-Nepal presents at Kathmandu International Conference
- APUA-India conducts course on promoting rational drug use
- LPAD aimed at speeding approval of new antibacterials
- Cefixime-resistant gonorrhea emerges in North America
- Chennai Declaration tackles antimicrobial resistance in India
- “Hydrogel” poised to eradicate drug-resistant bacteria on contact
- Fecal Transplants more effective for recurrent C. diff infection than vancomycin
- Novel strategy weakens bacteria against antibiotics
- Evolutionary consequences of antibiotic use exposed
11/7/12: APUA November Highlights
- New APUA Webinar on antimicrobial stewardship to be released Nov. 14 for CDC's Get Smart about Antibiotics Week
- CDC's Get Smart about Antibiotics Week November 12-18
- APUA joins partner health care organizations in advocating stewardship
- APUA President Dr. Stuart B. Levy in the AARP Bulletin article "Battling Bacteria 'Superbugs'"
- APUA advocates for consumer involvement in US FDA meetings on antibiotic use in livestock
- APUA attends The Joint Commission's National Summit on Overuse of Medical Treatments
- US FDA creates Antibacterial Drug Development Task Force; White House Advisory Board issues Report
- ReAct evaluates programs to develop new antibiotics
- New research findings: C. difficile and ESBLs undergo shift in epidemiology
- Selected notes from IDWeek 2012: UV disinfection, and Stewardship
- New "European Manual of Clinical Microbiology" available
8/14/12: APUA August Highlights
- New APUA report: Expert advice for antibiotic stewardship programs
- APUA's Leadership Statement advocates strengthening FDA Draft Guidance #213 on antibiotic use in livestock
- Call for nominations: 2012 APUA Leadership Award for Young Professionals
- APUA VP Dr. Thomas F. O'Brien leads discussion at Gordon Research Conference
- APUA President Dr. Stuart Levy contributes to WHO book “The Evolving Threat of Antimicrobial Resistance – Options for Action.”
- US law incentivizing development of novel antibiotics passed on July 9, 2012
- Nature article: "Sustainable farming: Get Pigs off antibiotics"
- "A Matter of Life and Death: The Economics of Antibiotic Resistance"
- US FDA position open: Division Director, Division of Pharmacovigilance
6/21/12: APUA June Highlights
- Dr. Stuart B. Levy receives Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Society for Microbiology
- APUA national stakeholder meeting on antimicrobial use in food animal production
- APUA and Pew campaign to strengthen FDA guidance
- APUA supports NRDC lawsuit against FDA
- APUA article in The Scientist
- APUA Clinical Newsletter Vol.30 No.1 available for download
- Call for nominations: 2012 APUA Leadership Award for Young Professionals
- Residues of banned antibiotics found in poultry feathers
- Three states show progress in combating C. difficile
- "Antibiotic resistance in foodborne pathogens"
- "Metagenomic epidemiology and antibiotic resistance"
- "Antibiotic stewardship and early discharge from hospital"
- APUA-Bulgaria: report from the field
- APUA-Cuba: report from the field
3/14/12: APUA March Highlights
- Upcoming conferences & events
- APUA and CDC campaign to raise awareness about C. difficile
- APUA represented at Congressional hearing
- APUA-Nepal: report from the field
- IDSA proposes new approach for drug approval
- CDC and ASTHO share HAI toolkit for policymakers
- WHO launches open-access book on antimicrobial resistance
- Danish EU Presidency holds conference on antimicrobial resistance
- "Forgotten Antibiotics: An Inventory"
- "ESBLs: A Threat to Human and Animal Health?"
- "Amoxicillin for Acute Rhinosinusitis"
- Global Health Magazine on vaccines
1/11/12: APUA January Highlights
- New U.S. FDA cephalosporin restriction and APUA response
- European Commission and European pharma industry reveal plans to accelerate new antibiotic R&D
- Global Health Council article features APUA field work in Africa
- APUA-Kenya: report from the field
- APUA Clinical Newsletter Vol.29 No.3 available for download
10/27/2011: APUA October Highlights
- GAIN Act introduced in U.S. Senate
- APUA to partner on CDC HAI research
- APUA poster and petition at IDSA meeting
- APUA article "Food Animals and Antimicrobials" in Clinical Microbiology Reviews
- APUA named a national strategic partner for CDC's "Get Smart About Antibiotics" Week
- Transatlantic report on strategies for fighting antimicrobial resistance
- 30th anniversary and Leadership Awards posted on APUA website
7/7/2011: APUA July Highlights
- APUA authors Microbe article about antimicrobials in food animals
- APUA presents at 38th Global Health Council
- APUA joins FDA petition for ban on cephalosporin use in food animals
- New expert postings on APUA blog "Superbugs and Drugs"
- APUA announces 2011 Leadership Awardee: ESCMID
- APUA condolences to the friends and family of Dr. James Rahal
5/6/2011: APUA April & May Highlights
- APUA comments on U.S. NARMS Strategic Plan 2011-2015
- Dr. Stuart B. Levy receives International Society of Chemotherapy Award
- Upcoming APUA Newsletter to focus on antibiotic stewardship
- APUA at IDSA Congressional briefing in Washington D.C.
- APUA-Bangladesh: report from the field
- Last call for Leadership Award nominations! Due May 15
4/1/2011: APUA March Highlights
- APUA partners with WHO for World Health Day 2011
- APUA white paper on Triclosan available for download
- APUA investigates comparative effectiveness in hand hygiene practice
- APUA welcomes Ghana as a new chapter
- APUA co-sponsors XV Congreso Panamericano de Infectologia
- APUA to hold panel presentation at Global Health Council Meeting
3/1/2011: APUA February Highlights
- APUA now accepting nominations for the 2011 Leadership Award
- APUA takes action in the debate on Triclosan
- Comment on APUA's blog, "Superbugs and Drugs" ®
- APUA-India co-sponsors international training course in Jaipur
- APUA-Nepal publishes seventh issue of its Newsletter
- APUA corporate sponsorship benefits
1/27/2011: APUA January Highlights
- IOM forum on microbial threats: workshop report
- Boston Globe interviews Dr. Stuart B. Levy
- APUA African chapter network & field report
- Dan Rather Reports: "Addicted to Antibiotics"
- APUA presents at key stakeholder conference on food safety in Washington D.C.
- Upcoming international conference for improving use of medicines
11/15/10: APUA November Highlights
- APUA features expert postings on its new blog, "Superbugs and Drugs®"
- Boston Globe publishes APUA letter: "Alarms Sounded Over NDM-1 in Massachusetts and Persistent MRSA in Maine"
- APUA suggests the establishment of compatible surveillance systems as focus for Transatlantic Task Force on Antimicrobial Resistance (TATFAR)
- APUA partners with CDC for "Get Smart About Antibiotics" Week: November 15-21, 2010