Computing Facilities on Campus
- The two lecture halls (201A&B) in the Loew Medical Education Center are equipped for computer-generated presentations which can project the same images to
both sides simultaneously. Every seat has an electrical outlet. Wireless Internet access is available throughout the building.
- The Loew basement laboratory, TL-011, is laptop ready
with computer jacks and an electrical outlet at every seat. Wireless Internet access is also available. This space includes a built-in digital projection for a variety of formats (DVD, video, kodachrome) in a system linked to monitors throughout the room. A computerized overhead document camera also has been installed in this space.
- The Varis Lecture Hall can project videos, computer generated PowerPoint
and conventional slides, or material from online sources. A built in video
camera allows capture of lectures on tape, and all presentations can be recorded
through the computer, as well. A computerized overhead document camera has
been installed, and every desk has a computer jack and power source.
- The McGrath Laboratory Building features a video capture unit and
monitors throughout the lab to enable students to see prosections and other
demonstrations performed from where they stand at the dissection table. This
lab has doubled as a large animal clinical anatomy laboratory. A fresh necropsy
of a horse was done in this site, with images of the necropsy shown throughout
the room and recorded for future use. Kodachrome slides, via real time slide
to video conversion, DVD, videotapes, and document/specimen cameras can be
transmitted through the monitors to students.
- McGrath small group rooms have been augmented with the addition of
5 multiheaded microscopes, purchased from the Medical School for clinical
pathology, pathology and histology teaching.
- Three videomicroscopes were purchased, allowing real time conversion
of glass slides to video projection. One is housed in the Loew Center, one
in the Varis Lecture Hall area, and one in the McGrath teaching laboratory
For information on the use of the projection equipment, please
call Andy Cunningham, ext. 8-4837
General Computing Areas:
- Webster Library in the Loew Medical Education Center has eight PC computers, a scanner, black and white laserjet printer and a color laserjet printer. Additionally the library has 25 laptops that can be checked out for teaching purposes or personal use.
- The Student Lounge in the Loew Medical Education Center has four computers and a black and white laserjet printer, allowing 24/7 access to the same computer resources in the library.
- The Varis Computer alcove (outside Varis Lecture Hall) has six computers with access to email, the Internet, and general computer use.
- The lobby area of the McGrath Veterinary Teaching Laboratory has four computers with access to email, the Internet, and general computer use.
- Data ports (jacks) have been placed throughout the campus spaces, i.e., student lounges, lobby areas, seminar rooms, etc., to allow students and faculty network access.
For information on reserving laptops for instructional use, call Betsy Like, ext. 8-7925
For more information about the Varis & McGrath computing
areas, contact Bob Ertsgard, ext. 8-8777