Tufts SCAVMA is the Tufts Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association. The American Veterinary Medical Association is one of the largest and oldest not-for-profit associations for veterinarians in the world, representing over 75,000 veterinarians practicing in a wide variety of areas.
[+] What does SCAVMA do?
- SCAVMA is the umbrella organization and major source of funding for all the other clubs on campus.
- SCAVMA runs the campus store, which sells all of the general Tufts Cummings Veterinary School merchandise. We also sell merchandise at campus events like Open House and Parent's Day.
- Many SCAVMA events support the Travis Fund.
- SCAVMA organizes board reviews for students in the fall of their 4th year.
- SCAVMA provides a wealth of networking opportunities, with both on-campus and off-campus professionals.
- SCAVMA organizes and funds students' trips to the SAVMA Symposium, the largest conference intended specifically for veterinary students.
- SCAVMA works closely in collaboration with the MVMA (Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association).
- SCAVMA delegates connect members with a large number of scholarship, loan and grant opportunities.
[+] What events does SCAVMA sponsor?
- First Friday social events each month at area bars and restaurants (SCAVMA membership card required)
- Lunchtime talks regarding professional development
- A barbeque at the beginning of fall term to introduce new students to the clubs on campus
- The annual Fur Ball (winter white party)
- The 3rd year kick-off party
- A barbeque at the end of the spring semester
- Community service activities, including blood drives and the Relay for Life
- Product/Career Day
- The fall dog wash
- The SCAVMA Spring Festival, in conjunction with the Westborough Rotary Club's Spring Festival. This event includes a 5K run with pets, contests, informational booths and a dog wash.
[+] What are the benefits of joining SCAVMA?
- Tufts SCAVMA Benefits:
- Free syllabus or Elms Cafe gift card each year
- Free registration and hotel accommodations for SAVMA symposium
- Eligible for Tufts SCAVMA Travel Grants, granted to at least ten students annually
- Information about scholarships and other monetary opportunities delivered directly from the Tufts SAVMA delegates
- Access to SCAVMA events, such as lunch talks, 4th year board reviews and much, much more!
- Student AVMA Benefits:
- Annual Student AVMA Educational Symposium
- Free subscription to The Vet Gazette (Journal of the Student AVMA)
- Funds for the Navajo Indian Reservation externship
- IVSA student-abroad exchange program
- Scholarships, grants, and other monetary opportunities
- Information concerning relevant veterinary issues through your Student AVMA Delegate
- AVMA Benefits (maximized with SCAVMA membership during third and fourth years of school):
- Reduced subscription rates ($40/year) to the Journal of the AVMA (JAVMA) and American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR)
- Free advanced registration to the annual AVMA meeting, and reduced registration for all other AVMA symposia
- Access to the AVMA Auxiliary Student Loan Fund (up to $8,000) as well as the AVM Foundation scholarship
- Health, accident, life, and professional liability insurance through the AVMA Insurance Trust.
- AVMA's Veterinary Career Center provides job listings and allows you to post your resume for worldwide exposure.
- Access to listings of post-graduate programs, externships, and internships - private, public, and corporate.
- Information on starting salaries and benefits, how to evaluate your first practice position, demographics on the profession, and the variety of veterinary careers.
- Counseling on how to negotiate salary and benefits.
- Computer-linked communication with other veterinary school students through the Network of Animal Health (NOAH).
- Reduced membership rates to the AVMA for 2 years after graduation (saving up to $175 over 3 years).
- Savings of up to 8% off home or car insurance.
[+] How do I become a SCAVMA member in good standing?
- Pay annual $23 SCAVMA membership & $12 SAVMA membership dues.
- Serve on a SCAVMA Committee for two years and fulfill delegated duties.
- Attend SCAVMA meetings.
To register, follow the link for "International or First Time SAVMA user" and forward your confirmation page to Tufts.SCAVMA@gmail.com. The deadline this year is October 1, 2013.