Below is the calendar of upcoming program events. The calendar will be updated with meetings, speakers, social events, and other relevant activities for students in the WSSS program. If you know of an event that you would like to see included on the calendar, please contact us to let us know.
Boston Area Water Grads Social Group: Once a month, grad students from the Boston-area universities get together for a happy hour. Next meet-up: October 14, 2014. 5:30pm. John Harvard's, Cambridge, MA.
Seminars and Meetings
Boston Area Hydrology Journal Club--Meet up with graduate students from around the Boston Metro and discuss a journal article. This group is a good way to stay current on water topics and to network with students from other institutions. This group is coordinated by a student at BU; contact the WSSS coordinator for his contact information. Next meeting: 10/15 at BU.
Mystic River Watershed Association Annual Meeting. October 16, 2014. 6-9pm. 51 Winthrop St., Medford, MA (Tufts Campus).
Wynn Resort's development and the effects on the Mystic and Malden Rivers, hosted by the Mystic River Watershed Association. October 28, 2014, 7pm, 51 Winthrop St., Medford, MA (Tufts Campus).
To support the development of an interdisciplinary WSSS research community, all WSSS students are expected to attend regular weekly meetings during their time in the program.
WSSS meetings are generally held on Friday afternoons from 3:00–4:30 PM. At the beginning of each semester, meetings will focus on building the broader WSSS community and will be held on Tufts' Medford campus. Beginning around mid-October, after students have chosen their track focus, many all-WSSS gatherings will be replaced with track- or interest-specific meetings, and will be held in smaller groups on both the Medford and Boston campuses.
Topics and activities covered during WSSS meetings might include:
- Orientation of new students
- Involvement of participating faculty and other colleagues
- Planning of the annual WSSS symposium
- Presentation of seminars by WSSS students, faculty, or visiting speakers
- Planning and preparation for our practica programs
- Coordination and planning of students' interdisciplinary WSSS research projects
- Development of skills in leadership, public speaking, teaching, development of research proposals, project management and budgeting, and the ethical conduct of research