To download the full curriculum vitae in Adobe PDF please click here.
- Columbia University, Ph.D. in Economics with Distinction, 1998
- Fields: International Trade, Industrial Organization, Development
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School, M.P.A., 1985
- Boston University, B.S. in Mathematics and Economics, summa cum laude, 1981
- External Examiner, University of Botswana, 2009-2010
- Northeast Universities Development Consortium, Executive Committee 2009 -
- Radcliffe Fellow, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, 2005/2006
- Faculty Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research, 2005 -
- Associate Professor of Economics, Tufts University, 2004 -
- Assistant Professor of Economics, Tufts University, 1998-2004
- Consultant, Development Economics Research Group, World Bank, 2008
- Special Sworn Employee, United States Bureau of Economic Analysis, International
- Investment Division, Washington, D.C., December 2002-
- Consultant, Diagnostic Trade Integration Study Ethiopia, World Bank, 2002-2004
- Senior Economist, Equity and Growth through Economic Research, USAID, 1997-2000
- Consultant, United Nations Development Programme, New York, 1995
- Consultant, The World Bank, Africa Adjustment Study Update, Washington, D.C., 1994
- Chief of Party, World Bank, Cooperative and Rural Development Bank, Tanzania, 1990-1993
- Consultant, Central Bank, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1989-1990
- Consultant, Lonrho Tanzania, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 1989-1990
- Associate, Capital Markets, Equator Bank Limited, Hartford, Connecticut, 1987-1989
- Financial Analyst, Shearson Lehman Brothers, New York, 1985-1987
- Assistant Junior Program Officer, United Nations Development Programme, Mali, 1984
- United States Peace Corps Volunteer, Bougouni, Mali, 1981-1983
- NBER Africa Project, "Demography and Institutional Change" (with Harounan Kazianga and Will Masters), July 2008-2010.
- Anonymous Donor Grant, “Financial Literacy Training in Ghana,” (with Dean Karlan and Edward Kutsoati), January 2007-January 2009.
- National Science Foundation Grant #0423080 – Supplemental Funding, "Overseas
- Investment and Labor Market Outcomes Using BEA Micro Data," January 2007 - January 2008, (with Ann Harrison).
- Lifespan/Tufts/Brown Center for AIDS Research, Developmental Grant, "HIV/AIDS, Health Behavior and the Income Gradient," Fall 2004 (with Karen Eggleston).
- National Science Foundation Grant #0423080, "Overseas Investment and Labor Market Outcomes Using BEA Micro Data," July 2004 - July 2006, (with Ann Harrison).
- Faculty Research Awards Committee Research Grant, Tufts University, 2004.
- Undergraduate Initiative in Teaching Award, May 2004.
- Faculty Research Awards Committee, Research Grant, Tufts University, 2002.
- Faculty Research Awards Committee, Summer Grant, Tufts University, 1998.
- President’s Fellow, Columbia University, 1994 -1997.
- Center for International Business Education, Research Grant, Columbia University, 1995.
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow, Princeton University, 1983-1985.
Conference Presentations and Seminars
- AEA Meetings (3), African Economic Research Consortium (2), African Finance and Economics Association, Botswana Institute for Development Policy Analysis, Brookings Institution, Brown University, Center for Global Development, City University of New York, Columbia University (2),Cornell University, Dartmouth College, University of Delaware, Development Economics Study Group (U.K.),Economic and Social Council of the United Nations, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, Harvard Universtiy (4), Indiana University, International Monetary Fund, Latin America and the Carribean Economics Association, London School of Economics, NBER (4), New York University Leonard Stern School of Business, Northeast Universities Development Conference (2), Oxford University (2), Princeton University, Purdue University, William Davidson Institute (2), World Bank (3), United States Agency for International Development (2), United Nations Industrial Organization, United States Bureau of Economic Anlaysis, University of California Berkeley, University of Maryland, University of Minnesota, University of Oklahoma, Yale University.
- American Economic Review, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, American Journal of Economics, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Economics and Politics, Journal of African Economies, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Economic Growth, Journal of Industrial Economics, Journal of International Economics, Journal of Political Economy, The Review of Economics and Statistics, National Science Foundation, Oxford Economic Papers, Journal of Industrial Economics, World Development
- Lauren Visek, Wei Yao, Arun Yang, Rachel Bergenfield, Natalie Levy, Pongrat Aroonvatanaporn, Michael Tonelli, Joanna Friedman, Bethany Peacemaker-Arrand, Karla Sy, Samantha Diamond, Dianna Darsney, Allison Archambault, Kate Davenport, Joan Hamory, Eleanor Park, Gabriel Mozes, Tania Desgrottes, Rahwa Tesfay, Eli Miloslavsky, Benjamin Harris