Working Papers and Work in Progress
- "International trade, offshoring and US wages", VOxEU.org (with Avi Ebenstein, Ann Harrison and Shannon Phillips) An accessible version of the impact of trade and offshoring on US wages and employment. August 31, 2009
- "Estimating the Impact of Trade and Offshoring on American Workers Using the Current Population Surveys", with Avi Ebenstein, Ann Harrison, and Shannon Phillips, NBER Working Paper 15107, June 2009.
- "Product Differentiation and Film Programming Choice: Do First-Run Movie Theatres Show the Same Films?" (with Darlene Chisholm and George Norman), revise and resubmit, Journal of Industrial Economics.
- "Offshoring Jobs? Multinationals and U.S. Manufacturing Employment," with Ann E. Harrison, NBER Working Paper, Revised June, 2009.
- "Child Undernutrition, Household Poverty and National Income in Developing Countries: Quantile Regression Results," with Steve Block, William A. Masters and Priya Bhagowalia, July 2009
- "Savings Account Labeling and Financial Literacty Training for Susu Customers in Ghana," with Ed Kutsoati and Dean Karlan
- "Demographic Pressure and Instiutional Change: Village Level Response to Rural Population Growth in Burkina Faso," with Harounan Kazianga and William A. Masters
- "New Evidence on Trade and Labor" in porgress for the International Labor Organization
- "Trade and Inequality," with Ann Harrison in progress for the Annual Review of Economics
- "The Food Price Crisis of 2007-08: Diagnosis and Outlook" in progress for The Journal of Globalization and Development
- "International trade, offshoring and US wages," VOxEU.org (with Avi Ebenstein, Ann Harrison and Shannon Phillips) An accessible version of the impact of trade and offshoring on US wages and employment. August 31, 2009
- "Profit Sharing Between Governments and Multinationals in Natural Resource Extraction: Evidence from a Firm-Level Panel" with Andrew Waxman, Brookings Trade Forum, February 2007.
- "Food Aid and Poverty" (with Barrett Kirwan) American Journal of Agricutural Economics, vol. 89, Issue 5, pp 1152-1160, December 2007.
- "Dispelling Some Myths About Offshoring" with Ann E. Harrison, Academy of Management Perspectives, 2006. Volume 20, No. 4, pages 6-22 [lead article].
- "U.S. Multinational Activity Abroad and U.S. Jobs: Some Stylized Facts" with Ann E. Harrison, Journal of Industrial Relations, pp 347-365, Volume 46, Number 2, 2007.
- "Outlining a Research Agenda on the Links Between Globalization and Poverty" with Ann E. Harrison, Journal of Economic Inequality, 5(1): 123-134, April 2007.
- "Does Food Aid Harm the Poor? Household Evidence from Ethiopia," (with Jim Levinsohn) in Ann Harrison ed., Globalization and Poverty, The University of Chicago Press for the NBER, 2006.
- "My Policies or Yours: How do Trade-distorting Agricultural Policies Used by Rich Countries Affect Poverty in Developing Countries?" with Alix Zwane and Nava Ashraf, Ann Harrison ed., Globalization and Poverty, The University of Chicago Press for the NBER, 2006. Read the New York Times article citing this paper.
- "Global Capital Flows and Financing Constraints," (with Ann Harrison and Inessa Love) Journal of Development Economics, 75(1): 269-301, October 2004.
- "Does Direct Foreign Investment Affect Domestic Firms Credit Constraints?" (with Ann Harrison) Journal of International Economics, vol. 61, Issue 1, October 2003.
- "When Economic Reform Goes Wrong: Cashews in Mozambique," (with Dani Rodrik and Karen Welch), Brookings Trade Forum 2003, 2003.
- "An African Growth Trap: Production Technology and the Time-Consistency of Agricultural Taxation, R&D and Investment," (with William Masters), Review of Development Economics, vol. 7, no. 2, May, 2003.
- "Climate and Scale in Economic Growth," (with William Masters) Journal of Economic Growth, vol. 6, no.3, September, 2001.
Initial publication was reported in The Times of London, the Toronto Star, the Indianapolis Star, ABC News, and The New Scientist website, plus a two-minute video news item produced by Science Central for ABC television. To see for yourself, here is a map of frost prevalence in .pdf format, and the raw data in Stata (.dta) format or Excel (.xls) format.
- "Why Kill the Golden Goose? A Political Economy Model of Export Taxation," Review of Economics and Statistics, vol. 83, no. 1, February, 2001.
- "Understanding the Political Economy of Tropical Agriculture," (with William Masters), American Journal of Agricultural Economics, vol. 82, no. 3, August, 2000.